Saturday 21 January 2012

Spying On You From The Comfort Of My Toilet

Bathroom libraries. I'm sure you all have one, and, if not, then I'm sure you'll have read a book whilst attending to Nature's call. Myself, I have a pile of about 6 books ready to be leafed through at my leisure on my bathroom floor. None of them are what you would call 'serious' books, they are just books to be picked up and put down again after a short space of time.

So, recently, I've followed this... hobby... to its natural extension. I take my iPod Touch in with me. I can browse the internet, play a game, and, starting from a few days ago, spy on people. Yes, no longer does the Spy need to rely on large newspapers with eye-holes cut into them, fake moustaches and code phrases such as "The grey wolf howls at midnight". The modern Spy can sit at home, toasty warm, watching people through his PC, and the only things they need worry about are the amount of hot beverage in their mug and their bladder levels.

Now, of course, I'm making this sound a whole lot more dramatic than it actually is. Basically, it's just an app that lets you watch the feed from some camera in Duesseldorf. What is interesting, though, is that many cameras let you take direct control of them. You swipe you finger across the screen in your bathroom in Britain, and a camera in San Francisco rotates and hits a seagull in the face. I'd like to think someone passing by would look up, see the camera gyrating and think "Not that fucking Brit again!".

So, next time you're walking down the street, just pay attention to any CCTV cameras in the area. If you see any of them spinning in circles and doing the funky chicken, be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

2 comments:

  1. Man, and I though I was weird for having a Nintendo in my college dorm bathroom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my good sir. That is called "winning".

      Delete